Sunday, April 24, 2011

"Green is Universal"....Time to pull the goalie, so the message can get through easier...

Been watching a lot of hockey these days as my Caps are in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and doing pretty well.  I've noticed in the last week that the logos on VS and NBC have been turned green in observance of Earth Day.  Although I do appreciate the sentiment followed by their "Green is Universal" campaign, I would wish that companies as big as networks would strive to make "going green" a more regular campaign, not just once a year.

I remember when I was a kid watching Saturday morning cartoons, that there would be PSA spots called "The More You Know...."on NBC with celebs pushing education on different subjects to kids.  These spots were really helpful, as I remember, but it would be really cool if more of these spots would educate kids on sustainable and ecological issues throughout the year, not just close to Earth Day.

I try to get my son to be more conscious about his sometimes wasteful ways, which can be many as he is 2.  I try to get things to make sense to him on his terms.  My way of getting him not to waste water is to tell him that if he wastes water (either while washing his hands, or wanting to flush the toilet just for kicks), there will be no water for cows, and hence there will be no milk for him.  We should try to educate our children and fellow humans on ways to help our world everyday.  Make it something to want to do always, not just for Earth Day.  All I can promise is that I will keep trying.  I may get some resistance, but even if a little goes through, that is a win.  It only takes a small opening to get a puck into the net, and the payoff is huge (I know I jump up and scare the heck out of my wife).

Just think about it,
Charles Cuprill, DMD
www.orlandoteeth.com

No comments:

Post a Comment